The short answer to whether can you wear jeans to a wedding is yes, but it will depend on the type of wedding and how you’ll wear the denim pants. There are also exceptions where wearing jeans at weddings would be inappropriate.
You’ll find below the wedding themes, and dress codes where wearing jeans is acceptable. And if you opted for black pants, you can also read how to dress up black pants for a wedding.
Etiquette For Guests: Can You Wear Jeans To A Wedding?
You can wear jeans to some wedding, but remember that there’s etiquette in wearing them and every wedding or couple is different. Jeans and denim are considered casual, and most traditional weddings are formal.
When in doubt, it’s better to wear dress pants as they can be styled up or down accordingly. You don’t want to attend underdressed or stand out among the wedding guests.
On the contrary, some weddings have a cowboy or denim theme, so wearing jeans is safe. But regardless, follow these tips when choosing what jeans to wear to a wedding to remain appropriate and professional.
- Never wear distressed or ripped denim because they are informal and can look too eye-catching for a wedding
- Be mindful of the denim pants style as you don’t want to take the attention away from the couple
- If you’re part of the wedding party, ask what the other members will wear, so you don’t stand out as the only one wearing denim
- Bleached denim or jeans with graphic prints would not suit a wedding
- The ideal type of jeans to wear to a wedding is plain black or dark navy denim because they can be dressed up with a blazer or suit
- It’s more flattering and suitable to wear straight-cut jeans to a wedding compared to skinny jeans; flare-leg jeans might be appropriate if the wedding theme is retro or Western
- Jeggings or leggings that look like jeans won’t suit a wedding unless you’re wearing them underneath as added warmth to a cold wedding.
Can you wear denim overalls to a wedding?
Denim overalls, jumpsuits, jumpers, rompers, or any other one-piece denim clothing are not acceptable to a wedding unless it’s very casual or you asked the couple beforehand. These outfits would stand out, and they don’t suit the formality of the wedding.
When Can You Wear Jeans To A Wedding?
There are themes and dress codes where wearing denim jeans would be acceptable for a wedding. However, it’s better to wear trousers for women or suit pants for men if the wedding is formal, cocktail, or black-tie.
Casual, dressy casual, smart casual, semi-casual, or semi-formal
These laidback dress codes for weddings can have wedding guests wearing jeans. With semi-formal, it will be better if the jeans are dark black to look like pants you’d wear to a business setting.
For casual, dressy casual, smart casual, or semi-casual dress codes, jeans are acceptable, but remember that you should still look sophisticated and smart since it’s a wedding. So even though you see the word “casual” on the wedding invitation dress code, avoid denim styles that are more appropriate for clubbing or malling.
A helpful tip is to select a stylish top so your overall wedding attire won’t look too laidback. For example, women can wear a bodysuit with a blazer while men can wear a suit, buttoned shirt, or jacket.
Cowboy, Western, or Diamond Denim wedding themes
Nowadays, themed weddings are getting popular where jeans are expected for the guests. For example, cowboy, country, or Western weddings have guests wearing denim pants.
Men and women can pair jeans with cowboy boots or even plaid shirts for these wedding themes. But of course, it’s best to wear plain jeans without distressed, ripped, or bleached styles.
Read what to wear to a Western wedding for more outfit ideas.
Another exciting wedding theme for the couple who wants to stand out is the Diamond Denim wedding. From the name itself, this theme has guests wearing jeans, a stylish top, and diamond jewelry.
Can I Wear Jeans And A Blazer To A Wedding?
If you decide to wear jeans to a wedding, it’s better to pick a dressy or semi-formal top, so your style will look more sophisticated and appropriate for the wedding. Blazers are one of the best choices to pair with jeans because they are flattering and stylish as long as you know your size and style:
Here are some tips on wearing a blazer to a wedding if you do pair it with jeans:
- Make sure you’re wearing the right blazer size, and it’s not too big or small for your chest and shoulders
- Fitted jeans pair best with slightly loose blazers, while tighter blazers should be paired with wide-legged jeans
- If your blazer and jeans are the same color, opt for a contrasting light or dark inner shirt and shoes
- Dark jeans and light-colored blazers are flattering for weddings
- Consider a cropped blazer with high-waisted jeans for women who want to conceal the stomach portion
- For men, you can wear jeans with a blazer to look sharp if you go for pants that have the same silhouette as trousers and a blazer with patches and pleats
Was this outfit guide helpful? To recap can you wear jeans to a wedding, the answer is yes, depending on the dress code and theme of the wedding.
And if you’re wearing jeans, wear a dressy top and avoid distressed, bleached, or ripped denim.