You’ve just purchased a new recliner and are ready to put it in your living room. You’re excited about its plushness, how it’s the perfect size for you and how much more comfortable than your old couch it will be. But wait!
When you got up to move the furniture into place, the recliner slid across the hardwood floor like a ship on ice! Don’t worry – with these simple measures, recliner from sliding on hardwood floors.
Ways to Prevent Recliner from sliding on Hardwood Floors
#1. Make sure the recliner is securely anchored to the floor – if it doesn’t have a heavy metal base with pre-drilled holes, install one. You can use lag bolts and washers or wood screws and appropriate anchors for concrete floors in this instance (screws are not advised on wooden floors). If you’re confident that your furniture is properly anchored, make sure that the wheels are locked or immobilized.
#2. Use a non-slip rug pad – these pads will not only prevent your recliner from sliding around on top of it, but they can also act as an anti-feline deterrent to keep cats off of your new couch!
#3. Elevate the furniture off of the floor. It’s not as attractive or cozy, but this will help keep your recliner from sliding around on top of it – and if you have pets like cats who love to jump onto surfaces, they’ll be less likely to do so with a raised surface
#4. Apply felt pads under the feet in order to prevent scratching or scuffing the floor.
#5. Place furniture on a carpet or rug – this will not only prevent your recliner from sliding around on top of it, but it also could make for an attractive and cozy arrangement in certain rooms
What are the best furniture pads for hardwood floors?
There are a few options available when it comes to furniture pads. One is felt, which will not only protect the floor from scratches and scuffs but also help keep your recliner in place on top of hardwood floors. Felt is an inexpensive option that can be bought at any home improvement store as well as online retailers such as Amazon.
Some people also use a small rug, which will not only prevent your recliner from sliding on the floor but can serve as an attractive and cozy arrangement in certain rooms.
Can you use furniture sliders on hardwood floors?
No. In most cases, using furniture sliders is not recommended on hardwood floors because they may damage the flooring or leave scuff marks. When it comes to recliners specifically, there are other ways to keep them in place without resorting to this method.
For example, you can use felt pads under your feet and legs so that you do not slide around. You can also place a small rug on the floor that will help to prevent your recliner from sliding across hardwood floors while also providing an attractive and cozy look in certain rooms (e.g., living room, bedroom).
If furniture sliders are too expensive or if other methods don’t work for you, you can also place furniture leg pads and/or some adhesive felt under the feet of your recliner.
How do you move heavy furniture without scratching hardwood floors?
Place a piece of plywood or cardboard to protect the floor while moving furniture.
Use furniture sliders made for hardwoods if you have them and they’re not too expensive.
Place felt pads under your feet and legs so that you do not slide around on hardwood floors.
Place a small piece of furniture (e.g., chair) under the leg or feet of your recliner to prevent it from sliding across hardwood floors while you are sitting in it.
You can also place a piece of felt, carpet pad, or other material underneath your recliner’s legs and/or feet if this doesn’t work for you.
Will heavy furniture damage wood floors?
- Heavy furniture can scratch, dent and, damage wood floors if you don’t take care when moving it.
- Use a piece of plywood or cardboard to protect the floor while moving heavy furniture.
- Place felt pads under your feet so that you do not slide around on hardwood floors.
- Place small pieces of furniture (e.g., chair) under the legs or feet of your recliner to prevent it from sliding across hardwood floors while you are sitting in it.
- You can also place a piece of felt, carpet pad, or other material underneath your recliner’s legs and/or feet if this doesn’t work for you.
- Non-skid mats are made to prevent furniture from sliding around on the surface. You can also use non-slip rug pads, felt pads or o ther material underneath your recliner’s feet and/or legs for added protection.
- You need to be careful about how you clean your hardwood floors.
- If the floor is damp, use a microfiber cloth to wipe it dry then buff with a second cloth before letting furniture return to its spot. This will prevent water from damaging and dulling the finish on wood floors.
- Don’t allow plants or wet rugs near wood surfaces either because this can cause the wood to warp.
- Avoid placing furniture on carpeting because this will also make it easier for your recliner to slip and slide around the surface of hardwood floors.