If you’re curious about how long does a memory foam mattress topper last, it can be up to 3 years. But since there are many variables to consider, this article will discuss what helps it last or get damaged quicker. We will also talk about when you must replace it.
Those who are interested in memory foam beds can also check our separate article about it. Here is the expected lifespan of a memory foam mattress.
How Long Does A Memory Foam Mattress Topper Last And Why
Memory foam mattress toppers can last for 3 years. But because not every memory foam topper in the market is the same, some products can last shorter or longer than 3 years. Nonetheless, memory foam is one of the most durable materials for a mattress topper.
Does memory foam topper wear out?
A memory foam mattress topper will eventually wear out because we use it every day. You might not also be distributing the pressure on the product by rotating or flipping it. Furthermore, remember to check the weight limit of the topper because heavier individuals require a more resilient structure to prevent sagging or crumbling of the memory foam.
It might help you to know what are the best mattresses for overweight sleepers as well.
A memory foam mattress topper is placed on top of the bed to improve its feel and also act as extra protection. It is also a common remedy for a sagging mattress. However, placing a memory foam topper on a damaged bed will hasten its deformation because it will follow the shape underneath.
How to make a memory foam mattress topper last?
- Select a thick memory foam topper, to begin with, since thin toppers under two inches will lose their shape much quickly
- Do not use a bed that is already deformed
- Check the manufacturer recommendations regarding flipping or rotating the topper
- Use the bed with care and refrain from jumping on it or letting moisture set deeply into the material that can hasten degradation
- Keep your mattress topper clean by vacuuming it weekly and treating stains as soon as possible
How Often Should You Change Memory Foam Topper?
You can change your memory foam topper as often as yearly or every three years once it reaches its expected lifespan. However, you don’t have to wait for three years before considering getting a replacement. Check your memory foam mattress topper for sagging, clumps, or any deformation in its overall structure.
Remember that the topper’s condition can affect your sleeping comfort and support. And while a topper can solve a sagging mattress, please consider investing in a new bed altogether for a long-term solution. If the shape underneath is deformed, the mattress topper will likely require a replacement much sooner.
Is A Memory Foam Mattress Topper Worth Buying?
Memory foam lasts longer than other materials
Memory foam mattress toppers come in different types, but those made from high-density foam are worth buying. Please remember that high-density foam materials can withstand more prolonged usage than cheaper and low-density memory foam toppers. Furthermore, using a memory foam mattress topper will improve the contouring ability of the bed, which is beneficial for sleepers that need pain relief.
Memory foam helps with pressure relief
The back, hip, and shoulder can get uncomfortable and painful as they receive the body’s weight during sleeping. Therefore, you need a mattress that will cushion these parts closely. A memory foam topper will provide the compression for this to alleviate and prevent body pain.
How To Use A Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Open the memory foam mattress topper and allow it to expand and air-out
- Lay the topper over the mattress with their edges aligned
- Install the straps if the topper has them to secure the corners with the mattress
- Install the bed sheet as usual
Do You Put A Mattress Pad Over Memory Foam Topper?
It’s not essential to place a mattress pad over the memory foam mattress topper, but it’s not unacceptable either. For example, some sleepers might want a higher and thicker bed or change the overall feel of the sleeping surface. If you’re going to install a mattress pad, put it over the topper and cover everything with a deep-pocketed fitted sheet to secure the three materials.
Memory Foam Topper Vs Egg Crate Topper
Memory foam mattress topper
- The contouring characteristic of memory foam helps with pressure relief and body pain
- Memory foam toppers such as those made from high-density materials last longer than other toppers
- Comes in a variety of types
- Traditional memory foam toppers can retain heat
- Can be pricey
Egg crate mattress topper
- The bumps of the egg crate mattress topper are supportive of a neutral spine
- The shape of an egg crate mattress topper provides better airflow than foam toppers
- Egg crate toppers are lightweight for easier portability
- Relatively affordable
- Some are flimsy and prone to getting damaged early
Was this article helpful? To give a quick rundown of our discussion about how long does a memory foam mattress topper last, it can be useful for up to 3 years depending on its quality and how you use it. It is one of the long-lasting toppers, but it can still get worn down through use.
Here is everything to know about mattress topper expected lifespan for more useful information.