Knowing how to wash faux fur blanket means you understand the best way to use the washing machine or by hand. Even though faux fur is essentially a synthetic material that might use polyester and acrylic, it still needs proper care and maintenance. If you’re familiar with how to wash polyester blanket correctly, then you’ll find this guide quick to learn.
We will also talk about the best way to dry your faux fur blanket. Do you also wonder how to make your faux fur blanket soft again? There’s no need to open multiple tabs because we have all the proven tips to keep your faux fur blanket clean, soft, and good as new.
How To Clean A Faux Fur Blanket Correctly
Before anything else, please check the tag of your faux fur blanket if the brand allows the use of a washing machine. You can follow the care instructions from there to ensure that you’re doing the ideal practices for faux fur. In general, faux fur blankets are best washed with a top-loading washing machine because this blanket type absorbs a lot of water and can get heavy.
- Set the washing machine to the gentle cycle with cold water and add some mild detergent
- Avoid using bleach and fabric softeners in the wash and rinse cycles because they can ruin the faux fur
- Make sure that you are washing the blanket alone in the washing machine
- Once done, recheck the label if the manufacturer allows the use of the dryer
- You may need two spin cycles to ensure that you eliminate the excess water absorbed
- Air-dry the faux fur blanket and fluff it up before reusing.
If you don’t have the washing machine ideal for a faux fur blanket, you can wash it manually. It’s a safer way to ensure that the material won’t get damaged. However, use a sink or tub that can accommodate the size of the blanket.
- Pre-treat the stains if there are any by dabbing mild detergent and water on the affected areas
- If the blanket is soiled, soak the blanket in cold water with a bit of vinegar for half an hour to eliminate the odor
- For the washing itself, fill your basin or tub with cold water and mild detergent
- Swish the blanket in the water to create suds and soak for 15 to 30 mins
- Drain the soapy water and replace it with clean water for rinsing
- Repeat until there are no more residues on the blanket
- Place the faux fur on a dry towel and press to absorb the liquid without wringing
- Air dry outside and brush
Can You Put Faux Fur In The Washing Machine?
Some faux fur throws allow washing in the washing machine. Please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid damaging the material. Additionally, the washer should have a drum spacious enough to wash the faux fur blanket alone efficiently.
Remember that faux fur blankets absorb a lot of water, making it harder for the drum to operate. You can check your laundromat for high-capacity washing machines, but there’s another factor to consider. The correct setting for washing faux fur blanket should be the quickest and gentlest cycle.
If your washing machine has unreliable temperature gauges, hand-wash the faux fur blanket instead. Some settings might be too hot for the material, or the cycle itself might be too aggressive. You’re aiming to wet the faux fur blanket for a short period without agitating the fabric too much.
Can You Put Faux Fur In The Dryer?
You can put faux fur in the dryer to make it easier to remove the water it has absorbed. It may need two spin cycles, but you don’t want to overdry the blanket in the dryer. Otherwise, you risk developing creases on the blanket.
Additionally, you can only use the dryer for some faux fur blankets if it has a heat-free setting. Tumble drying or any setting with heat can shrivel the faux fur strands. After removing the excess water, please take out the blanket and air dry flat instead of hanging it over the line which creases the backing.
How Do You Care For A Faux Fur Blanket?
Following the guidelines and tips discussed are the best way to care for a faux fur blanket. Proper washing will ensure that it will retain its integrity. However, avoid bleach, fabric softeners, ironing, or using the dryer excessively.
How Can I Make My Faux Fur Blanket Soft Again?
After washing the faux fur blanket, use a comb to remove the tangles. Brush the blanket onto one direction with a wide-tooth comb or a hairbrush while still damp to prevent clumping. It’s best to fluff up the blanket before it dries completely to prevent it from shedding when combed.
The best way to keep faux fur blankets soft is proper maintenance. Start with knowing how to wash faux fur blanket correctly, either with a washing machine or by hand. The main takeaway in this article is to avoid bleach, fabric softeners, and high heat.
More so, you have to use the suitable capacity of washing machine because faux fur blankets get heavy when wet. Afterward, remember to dry your blanket flat and brush it up to restore its fluffiness.