How To Get Rid Of Mold On Dried Flowers: 3 Helpful Steps

How to get rid of mold on dried flowers? Well, it’s easy, buy sulfur dust in the nearest garden center from you, pour it on a small dish, using a small brush, brush off the mold with the help of sulfur dust.

Dried flowers are an excellent display to have in your home. These flowers may also hold memories, like the first flower your boyfriend gave you or the bouquet you used when you walked down the aisle on your wedding day.

how to get rid of mold on dried flowers

It is a way to preserve the memory the flower holds. It can be a pendant, keychain designed for your wall, or even displayed on top of your desk.

It looks good and can accentuate your style and taste as an individual. 

 

Why Is There Mold On Dried Flowers?

You might be wondering, how does my dried flower get mold? Right? Well, your dried flowers get molds if they are not properly cared for.

They may get mold if the environment around them is suitable for molds to grow, like having no constant sunlight, no proper air ventilation, and moisture. This type of environment is where mold thrives.

Another factor why there is mold on your dried flowers is because they initially have mold before they dry up. Having tiny mold spores on the flower and the drying process may cause mold later on.

 

Side Effects Of Mold On Your Dried Flowers At Home

Molds on your dried flower are not the only thing you need to worry about. Mold can scatter throughout your home and affect your furniture or walls.

Puffy Lux

 

Side effect #1. Mold on your wall

When your dried flower starts to get moldy, the surrounding area of the flower will likely get mold. This will lead to your wall getting mold.

Now you may think that your dried wall will have no chance of housing molds. Well, you’re mistaken because even dried walls can house molds.

You might be wondering how long does it take for mold to grow on drywall, well it will only take up to 48 hours for mold to grow on drywalls.

 

Side effect #2. Mold on your mattress

Placing a dried flower on your bedside table for it to be a design in your room might have consequences, especially if it has mold. Mold on your mattress is not the thing you would like inside your room.

Having mold on your mattress may feel itchy, and you may have trouble sleeping on it. You might want to prevent it and get rid of it.

Checking and cleaning your mattress along with the changing of sheets will help you detect impending mold growth on your sheets. Having the knowledge on where and what to look for is very helpful in preventing it.

Here is an article for you to help you on how to tell if there is mold on your mattress.

 

Side effect #3. Mold on your furniture

You probably design your house with flowers, paintings, vases, figurines, or anything pleasing in the eyes. One way to design your home is with dried flowers.

If you have ever used dried flowers to touch up your home, it is possible to accumulate mold. Once the dried flower gets mold, it may also affect your furniture.

Molds can breed and grow, just like any other living organism, and they may affect your home. You may want to get rid of mold on your dried flower now before it affects your furniture.

 

How To Remove Mold On Dried Flowers

Dried flowers can be delicate as time goes on. It would be great if you are careful when cleaning them, or you may end up ruining the petals of the dried flowers.

Step #1. To get rid of the mold or mildew on the dried flower, buy yourself sulfur dust in the nearest garden center in your area. Once you have the sulfur dust, you can proceed with cleaning.

Step #2. To start, you need to wear safety gloves and goggles since sulfur can irritate the skin and eyes.

Step #3. Brush the mold off of the flower gently with the help of the sulfur dust. 

For more tips on cleaning dried flowers, read this article on getting powdery mildew off of dried flowers.

 

Health Risks Of Mold

With regards to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention statement, health reactions to mold can be based on your sensitivity and exposure to molds. Those people who are sensitive to mold tend to have allergy-like symptoms and sometimes asthma.

For individuals exposed to molds for a long time with a large quantity of molds, a severe reaction may occur, such as fever and shortness of breath. People with poor immune systems and lung disease might be at greater risk to mold than those who are not. 

 

Conclusion

As you reach the end of this article, you have learned how to get rid of mold on dried flowers and its effect on your house. Make sure to do the entire process carefully by wearing the right equipment and using appropriate tools.

Leave a Comment