How to clean a futon mattress of a cat urine? In just four easy steps, you can!
Even if you try your best to prevent your cat from peeing on your mattress, accidents can still happen.
Removing the cat urine and its odor could be tough, especially when it has soaked into the mattress already; not only for cat urine but with human urine as well.
It would help if you treated the proteins, odor, and stain intrinsic in the urine.
Failure to deal with those three things will result in an awful smell that tends to linger on a futon mattress for several months.
However, the process of getting rid of them is a bit tricky. Fortunately, we have found some ways to help you with this.
4 Steps To Do After The Urine Accident
After the peeing accident, you need to take measures immediately. Do not allow the urine to sit in your futon mattress any longer to avoid more problems.
So, how to clean a futon mattress of a cat urine?
Follow the easy steps below:
Step #1. Absorb the urine using paper towels
First and foremost, you need to prevent the urine from soaking into the futon mattress.
Get some paper towels or a rag to absorb the urine.
Act quickly to absorb most of it as much as possible.
Step #2. Remove your bedsheet
If your futon mattress has a cover, you need to remove it and put it in the laundry.
Step #3. Spray rubbing alcohol on your bed
You need to get a spray bottle and fill it with water and rubbing alcohol. Then, spray it onto the affected areas and dry it off using a clean rag after.
Rubbing alcohol is best used because of its ability to kill bacteria.
Aside from that, it also has some properties that can help dry the urine out of the futon mattress faster.
After cleaning the area, which has been recently sprayed with rubbing alcohol, you now have to wipe it again using a wet rag to eliminate any residue.
But if you ask why you need to dilute it with water instead of applying it directly, rubbing alcohol is flammable.
Also, remember to provide it ample time for drying before you sleep on it again.
That is why it is recommended that you wipe the area first using a wet rag to dilute the rubbing alcohol further or soak it up.
Step #4. Use urine remover spray if you have one
It would help if you utilized a urine remover spray to be sure.
You know the pee’s odor tends to come back, so this step is necessary to avoid this.
Such spray makes use of enzymes that digs deeply onto the futon mattress to remove all the remaining pee.
Other Methods In Getting Rid Of Cat Urine
Aside from the above procedure, some other ways can help in solving your problem with cat urine.
These methods are especially effective in cases where the urine has settled into your futon mattress already.
Method #1. Using vinegar and baking soda
Below are the easy steps in cleaning the cat urine from your futon mattress with the use of ingredients you can find at home only:
- Take off the sheets, blankets, pillows, and any other beddings on top of the futon mattress then, wash these items
- Start blotting up the urine using paper towels and make sure to discard those paper towels properly after
- Get a spray bottle and pour some white vinegar into it and spray this on the areas of the futon that is stained by the urine (vinegar has natural properties that can neutralize and deodorize urine as well as remove its awful odor)
- Dab any excess vinegar using a towel
- Get the baking soda and start sprinkling it over the affected area and let the vinegar and the baking soda sit on your mattress overnight
- Vacuum the mattress to suck the particles of the baking soda and get a damp cloth and wipe it onto the area
You can repeat the entire process if you find it necessary
Method #2. Using peroxide and dish-washing liquid
In case the previous method does not do well in treating the urine, you can try this method which uses hydrogen peroxide.
Below is the complete procedure:
- Get a plastic container and pour about 16 ounces of hydrogen peroxide into it
- Mix a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid into the solution but make sure to use the mild ones only because you don’t want to stain your futon mattress.
- You might as well add a tablespoon of baking soda into this and stir them well using a wooden spoon
- Get a spray bottle and pour the solution into it then apply it onto the spot with pee
- Let the solution sit onto your futon mattress until it dries off completely
- Vacuum your futon mattress and wipe it using a damp cloth after
If you have other stains you want to clean from your memory foam mattress, you want to read this.
It’s A Wrap!
I know exactly how awful the smell of cat urine can get, and it can last for months.
Fortunately, there are some ways to get rid of those smells, as discussed above.
And I have to say that you can avoid any urine accident if you cover your futon mattress with a mattress protector.
So you might want to try and get those to prevent future peeing accidents.
And that’s how to clean a futon mattress of a cat urine.