Do you have a recliner that has been wobbling for months? Or perhaps you just got a new recliner and it won’t stay in place. Either way, this post is for you!
We will walk through how to unlock recliner legs using 9 easy steps. These methods are effective on all types of furniture including couches, stools, and chairs.
How to Unlock Recliner Legs
Step 1. One solution is placing a few coins on the heavy side of the chair. The additional weight will help bring it back into place and balance out how much pressure each leg has, leveling your furniture.
If that doesn’t do the trick, you can try wedging one or two books under the back of one or more legs. The books will act as a counterweight and use gravity to balance how much pressure is on each leg.
Step 2. A third option is using furniture pads, such as cork disks that you can place in between chair legs to create some space for them. This allows your recliner’s feet room to relax and stabilize.
Step 3. The final solution is to place an object, such as a book or stack of magazines, under one leg that’s shorter than the others. This will allow your recliner legs to stay balanced with how much weight they’re carrying on each side.
What is Unlocking a Recliner Leg?
One of the most common issues with recliners is that they can become too wobbly over time. This problem often arises because how you sit on your furniture determines how much weight it carries.
If one leg is shorter than another, there’s a higher chance for instability and wobbling as soon as someone sits in their chair.
The best solution for how to unluck recliner legs is placing a book or stack of magazines under one leg that’s shorter than the others. This will allow your recliner to remain balanced with how much weight it carries on each side
Some people also recommend taping a piece of wood underneath the chair, but this can cause the chair to become too stiff and not move how it should.
Conners Enterprises recommends calling a technician if these solutions don’t work for you, as they may have additional methods of fixing how wobbly your recliner has become over time.
How To Lubricate A Recliner
- Use a towel or rag and apply furniture polish to the leg. Rub until it glides smoothly.
- Apply a silicone spray, WD40, olive oil, mineral oil, how to unluck recliner legs, or any other type of lubricant onto the chair’s feet or underside of chairs that are only on carpeting.
- Apply a thick layer of furniture polish onto the bottom and feet of chairs on carpeting.
How To Fix A Recliner Leg That Is Wobbling
Remove any objects or debris that may be causing it to tilt. The weight may have caused something to shift which is how to unluck recliner legs or furniture polish.
Use a screwdriver to reattach any loose screws and tighten loosened ones for how to unluck recliner legs and chairs. Replace missing or broken hardware if necessary.
How To Fix A Recliner Leg That Is Ripping Out Of The Bottom
Reinforce chairs with screws and bolts.
Reinforce legs with a metal bracket or brace in the right place for how to unluck recliner leg that is ripping out of the bottom
How To Fix A Recline Leg That Is Wobbly In The Middle
Replace chairs hardware with rust-resistant steel. Adjust by adding a shim or spacer beneath it for how to unluck recline a leg that is wobbly in the middle.
How To Fix A Recliner Leg That Is Wobbly Near The Bottom
Replace hardware with rust-resistant steel. Adjust how to unluck recline a leg that is wobbly near the bottom by adding a shim or spacer beneath it.
How to unluck recline leg Uneven Heel Pads:
Remove uneven heel pads and replace in a more evenly spaced pattern and replace in a more evenly spaced pattern.
How to unluck recline leg that is wobbly near the front or back
- Adjust they are with loose rail misplaced or missing fasteners.
How to unluck reclines with bad leg brackets
- Adjust how to unluck recliners on how they were delivered:
- Replace the rail bracket with a new one, if needed.
- Install new bolts, washers, and nuts if the old ones have become stripped or loose.
- Add a few drops of oil to each leg joint before attaching it back onto the chair.
Advantages of Unlocking Recliner Legs
- The more comfortable seating position
- Reduced risk of injury from falls and injuries caused by furniture tipping over
Disadvantages of Unlocking Recliner Legs
- Takes time to unluck recliner legs, usually between 45 minutes – an hour depending on how long it has been since the furniture was last used. If you are in a hurry, try to unluck recliner legs sooner rather than later.
- Cannot be done with one person – requires at least two people (if not more). This is especially true if your furniture has been tipped over or the leg hardware is difficult to reach.