5 Helpful Tips On How To Prevent Pesticide Poisoning

When dealing with pests, you might want to learn how to prevent pesticide poisoning. Because “the dose makes the poison,” someone can become ill from almost any exposure if the amount is high enough. 

The likelihood of developing health problems as a result of exposure to a pesticide is determined by the pesticide’s toxicity and the level of exposure. Even low-toxicity pesticides can be dangerous if inhaled, absorbed via the skin, or consumed in large amounts. 

how to prevent pesticide poisoning

Using less pesticide, choosing lower toxicity products, and wearing protective equipment to reduce your exposure can all assist to reduce the risks associated with pesticide use. 


How To Avoid The Risks Of Pesticide

There are a few tips a homeowner should bear in mind to minimize the dangers of using pesticide and eventually prevent the worst-case scenario from happening – pesticide poisoning. 

Tip #1. Take into account using an IPM (Integrated Pest Management) strategy. Pesticides are only used as a last resort after other choices have failed, and this method promotes prevention, sanitation, and exclusion.

Tip #2. Examine the product’s signal word and active components, then select the product with the lowest toxicity. For assistance in comparing goods, contact NPIC or National Pesticide Information Center.

Tip #3. Read the product label. The lower limit of protective equipment, such as gloves or goggles, required to decrease your exposure will be listed on the pesticide label. 

Choose products with formulas that are less likely to cause exposure. Ensure the pesticide label specifies the location where you plan to use it. 

Applying a pesticide in an unlisted area is both illegal and dangerous.

Tip #4. Follow the label guidelines carefully to use the right amount of pesticide for the job. Excessive pesticide use can result in greater amounts of exposure for people, pets, and the environment.

Tip #5. To avoid inadvertent pesticide exposures, do not allow children, pets, or immunocompromised adults to enter treatment areas. Food, toys, pet bowls, and clothing should all be kept a secure space away from any pesticide treatment.


How Do Pesticides Poison Us

Pesticides can infiltrate your body during mixing, application, or clean-up operations. A chemical or material can enter the body in one of three ways: through the skin (dermal), through the lungs (inhalation), or through the mouth (ingestion).



The most likely pathway of pesticide exposure in most workplaces is through skin absorption. When mixing, loading, or spraying the pesticide, people may be subjected to a splash or mist. 

When you come in contact with a piece of equipment, protective clothing, or a surface that has pesticide residue on it, you may come into contact with your skin.

Pesticides can be absorbed through the eyes as well. Pesticides, on the other hand, can cause eye damage.



When working with powders, airborne droplets (mists), or vapors, inhalation is a possibility. Modest-pressure applications pose a low risk since the majority of the particles are too big to persist in the air. 

Because the droplets are tiny and can be carried in the air for long distances, spraying a pesticide with elevated heat, very low volume, or fogging equipment might increase the threat. Pesticides that pose a high risk of inhalation will be labeled with instructions to wear a respirator.



While ingestion (by mouth) is a less frequent method of exposure, it can cause the most serious poisonings. There have been numerous incidents of people inadvertently ingesting pesticides from unlabeled bottles or beverage cups/containers (including soft drink cans or bottles). 

If pesticide workers do not wash their hands first, they may unknowingly ingest the poison when eating or smoking.


What Are The Symptoms Of Pesticide Poisoning?

The consequences of pesticide poisoning can be divided into two categories: topical and systemic. Topical effects occur at the point of pesticide exposure and are caused by the pesticide’s irritating qualities (either the active or inert ingredient) or the victim’s allergic reaction.


Topical effects

The most frequently reported topical effect associated with pesticide exposure is dermatitis, or inflammation of the skin. Dermatitis symptoms include reddening of the skin, rashes, and/or blisters. 

When pesticides are used or when these compounds are administered in or around their homes or places of employment, some people experience allergic reactions. Allergic responses can cause reddening and itching of the skin and eyes, as well as respiratory distress that resembles asthma.


Systemic effects

Topical and systemic impacts are not the same thing. As a consequence of the pesticide being taken into and dispersed throughout the body, they frequently occur away from the primary area of contact. 

Nausea, vomiting, fatigue, headaches, and intestinal problems are common systemic effects. It is critical to seek medical help as soon as possible; however, certain symptoms are not always the result of pesticide exposure. 

Symptoms of pesticide exposure can be mimicked by common ailments such as the flu, heat exhaustion or sunstroke, pneumonia, asthma, lung and intestinal diseases, and even a hangover. Consider all of the possible reasons for your symptoms.

If you want to be more knowledgeable about such risks, know more if pest control is safe for humans. However, if you want to completely avoid the dangers, then try learning what is organic pest control.  



Knowing how to prevent pesticide poisoning will not only save you from potential illnesses but also keep you from spending bucks into medication. Remember that you do not have to risk your health for pests.

Leave a Comment