Buying a recliner can be a difficult decision to make – there are so many different options available, and what you’re looking for in a recliner might differ from what someone else is.
It’s important to take into account your needs, as well as the space you have available in the room where it will go. In this article, we discuss what features you should look for when buying a recliner, and provide some helpful tips on how to select one that will suit your needs.
What is Recliner?
A recliner is a chair with movable parts that allows the occupant to attain various positions, typically sitting upright and leaning back or lying down.
Types of Recliners
There are many different types of recliners on the market today including electric, swivel rocker chairs, manual reclining chairs as well as leather upholstery for those looking for something more luxurious.
There are also some high-end models available which have built-in heaters so you can use them during the winter months.
The type you buy will depend upon what your needs/wants are – there really isn’t one which stands out as being better than another because it all depends on what’s important to you.
The most common type is an electric recliner, which is ideal for people who suffer from back pain or just want to relax.
Rocker recliners are great because they can be used as a rocking chair when you’re not using them as a recliner and some even have an electric light so that your fingers don’t get tired of knitting by the end of winter! They also fold up easily, making it easy to store away for the summer months. The downside is that these chairs do take up more space due to their design but if this doesn’t bother you then rockers may well be what’s right for you!
If cost isn’t something which worries you too much and all you need is a chair to relax in then manual chairs may be what’s right for you. These are generally cheaper than electric recliners but they do require some effort on the owner’s behalf which can mean that these chairs aren’t suitable if someone has limited mobility or an illness such as arthritis.
Features of an Ideal Recliner Chair
It is important to check what weight limit your chosen recliner will take before making a purchase, this information should be included within the product description and/or packaging so it’s worth taking time over when looking at different products.
It’s also worth noting what other features of the chair might need adjusting due to weight restrictions – usually there needs to be more space between buttons on remotes for people who weigh more than average-sized people to use the chair.
Making sure that a recliner is comfortable to sit in before you buy it.
Size: make sure there’s enough space for the chair to fit into your living room, if not then consider buying one of those smaller models or choosing another style of furniture altogether.
What budget are you working with? If you’re looking to spend less than $600, then recliner chairs are probably out of the question.
What do you need this chair for? Do you want a more upright back that can be used to read in or one with head lumbar support and an ottoman footrest for relaxing after work?
Make sure the frame is made of wood or metal, not just plastic. Also consider what material the upholstery will be made out of, like cotton twill versus leather.
How to Care For Recliner Chair
- Avoid reclining in the chair for an extended period of time. This can cause your joints to stiffen and deteriorate, which could lead to arthritis or bone deformities over time.
- Clean upholstery by vacuuming it at least once a month with furniture cleaner sprayed on the stain first, then blotting with a clean, dry cloth.
- For deep stains or difficult odors use a nonacid carpet cleaner and follow the directions on the container.
- Vacuum upholstery at least once a month with furniture cleaner sprayed on the stain first, then blotting with a clean, dry cloth. Cleaning tips: Use distilled white vinegar diluted with water to some of the stains.
- If you have a spot that won’t come out no matter what, Over time this will get worse and weaken the fibers in your upholstery. It’s best not to let it go for so long before trying another cleaning method.
- Avoid reclining in the chair for an extended period of time.
- Do not use the arms to help you get up from a reclined chair, instead, try pushing your feet into the floor and standing without using the arms for support.
How Much Does a Recliner Cost?
The most expensive recliner starts at $1000 and the cheapest is around $250.
Most people spend about $500 on a chair, but this can vary depending on which features are important to you.