If you want to know what is a good pillow top mattress, you need to consider four factors. First, identify what type of sleeper you are, and then check the three features that influence the comfort and support of the pillow top bed.
Is your current pillow top damaged? Here is how to fix a pillow top mattress as well. It will be helpful to know the solutions even if you’re just buying a new bed.
How To Find A Good Pillow Top Mattress
The best pillow top mattresses in the market are the three models below. However, it would be better to know the four factors to consider to help you get the best bed for your needs. So, check each brand after this article using the four factors we’ll discuss.
- Saatva Classic Mattress: a plush Euro pillow top mattress with three firmness options
- Serta Perfect Sleeper Mattress: a hybrid mattress with the option of a pillow top layer
- Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress: a quilted pillow top hybrid mattress
Consider the sleeper
The first consideration when selecting a pillow top mattress is the sleeper who will use it. Next, identify the user’s sleeping position and body weight to ensure that they will feel supported and comfortable in the bed. For example, back sleepers can sleep on a medium pillow top hybrid, while stomach sleepers need a firm, thinner pillow top with high-density material.
On the other hand, side sleepers need more cushioning to prevent body pain on the pressure points. Therefore, a plush pillow top will suit you if you sleep on your side. And as for the body type, you can get something softer if you are lightweight, but heavy individuals must use something firm with a durable coil support system to prevent sagging on the bed.
Type of material
There are various pillow top beds in the market, which means you’ll get vast choices for the materials and structure of the mattress. To ensure durability, you can check if the foam is high-density and opt for individually wrapped spring coils to prevent motion transfer. Those who prefer the contouring feel of the memory foam should also remember to check for any cooling and breathability features to avoid uncomfortable heat retention.
Ultimately, the best pillow top mattress material will depend on every user. However, proper selection is vital if you want to get a reasonable lifespan of a pillow top mattress.
Knowing how to select mattress firmness is always essential when you’re buying any bed. And if you want a good pillow top mattress, it should have a firmness rating suitable for your needs. Of course, the safest choice would always be medium to medium-firm, but do not worry about losing comfort because pillow tops are known for their plushness.
However, beware of using a very soft mattress. You don’t want to sink too deeply that your spine is no longer neutral. On the other hand, a very stiff surface won’t relieve pressure points that can lead to body pain.
Are you familiar with the best-selling mattresses in the US? What about reputable mattress brands? These are questions worth answering because brand reliability will dictate the quality and convenience of the pillow top or any bed for that matter.
A trusted manufacturer will use quality materials and craftsmanship, so you’ll get the most of your money. The company will always offer reasonable policies in terms of warranty and returns as well. And of course, you know that the reputable brand won’t use any potentially harmful materials or procedures on the mattress.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of A Pillow Top Mattress?
Pillow top mattress pros
- The extra padding at the top of a pillow top mattress enhances the cushioning feeling of the bed
- The fluffiness of the pillow top mattress can help with relieving pressure on the heavy regions of the body
- Lightweight individuals that find most beds too firm will feel more comfortable on a pillow top mattress
- Pillow top mattresses come in different materials to suit every individual
- Pillow top mattresses are readily available and affordable compared to other beds
Pillow top mattress cons
- Stomach sleepers and overweight individuals are not suitable for a pillow top because it’s too plush and thick
- Pillow top mattresses are prone to sagging than other mattress types
- The softness of a pillow top tends to sink sleepers too deeply
- Not all pillow top mattresses have a good coil system, so they get damaged quickly
- The motion transfer in pillow tops can be noticeable depending on the coil support
What Is The Difference Between A Pillow Top Mattress And A Regular Mattress?
You can easily distinguish a pillow top mattress from a regular mattress because it has an extra padded layer at the top, hence the name. Some brands even add the pillow top option on their innerspring and hybrid beds. You may also come across another type of pillow top mattress, so check what a Euro mattress is in our separate in-depth discussion is.
And that’s it! To answer what is a good pillow top mattress, consider the sleeper, mattress material, firmness, and brand reliability to find your best bed. You can also check Saatva, Serta, and Helix Sleep for the best pillow top beds in the market.
We hope this was a helpful read, and feel free to ask us any questions below.