A greenhouse is a practical cultivation approach that even beginners can practice. Even in a small greenhouse, you can grow some veggies, fruits, flowers, and berries that are suitable for your climatic conditions. We will touch the variety of those later in this article.
While some people may love to own a bigger greenhouse, others with limited options can try out a mini structure for fitting in their favorite plants. The greenhouse method of cultivation is a trending and popular method widely practiced worldwide to get the best results; even beginners can follow it.
There is a big difference in growing plants outdoors rather than growing them in a greenhouse. Several factors come in to play when you are cultivating crops in the greenhouse.
Most of the elements considered vital for the growth of plants, such as light, temperature water, humidity, etc. are not always controlled by nature; they are sometimes controlled by humankind as per requirement.
Those who cannot afford to have a big greenhouse the smaller version will make for a good option. Mini greenhouse involves a special method of cultivation where different varieties of plants are raised under one roof by extending the growing season.
As the temperature of the greenhouse is manually controlled, you can allow your favourite plant to grow even during winter. The greenhouse has the ability to regulate moisture and humidity. Since there is no water stress around the roots, the plants can, as a result, focus on its flowering and fruiting.
As the soil of the greenhouse is pre-treated, hence there is a less possibility of soil diseases.
You need to consider various important aspects to carry out cultivation in small greenhouses, such as what you are willing to grow, how you can grow, what environment is required for its best yield, etc.
What can be grown and when
With proper execution of the plan, you can grow wide varieties of plants all through the year. Come with an exciting design for your greenhouse. Make sure your greenhouse is flexible enough. You can put removable or adjustable shelves at one side of the greenhouse for the small plants and keep the opposite side free for long- or taller plants.
Now we can discuss what you can plant in which season
You can focus on growing salad plants in the greenhouse during spring. These salad plants can be grown directly from seeds in the greenhouse. During the onset of spring, the mini greenhouse becomes full of young plants, which are ready for future garden transplantation.
During the summer season, you can grow crops in the greenhouse which need protection; for example, aubergines, pepper, cucumber, and tomatoes.
You can grow lettuce; mainly, a salad crop lettuce can be grown in a greenhouse set up during the autumn season; as a result, when winter arrives, you can supply it in abundance. You can also grow spring cabbage during autumn; later, it becomes ready for outside garden plantation.
You can grow your favourite plants like fuchsias and geraniums in winter. This is possible with the help of your mini greenhouse.
List of veggies and fruits which you can easily grow in your small greenhouse
- Leafy Plants: Brush up your aesthetic sense before you start cultivating leafy greens. It has a different taste and colors. Leafy greens are considered perfect ingredients for starters and side dishes. They are in high demand at retail shops as well as in big restaurants.
- Micro Green Plants: Choi, radish, beet, tatsoi, and peas are the few examples of microgreens that can be easily grown in your small greenhouse. You can prepare mouth-watering snacks with these micro green veggies. Foodies also prefer them as side dishes—post gathering knowledge you can make 2nd generation veggies by mixing its varieties.
- Tomatoes: The beefsteak variant tomatoes are widely grown in the greenhouse, as they are easy to handle. Meanwhile, the cultivator can also try out other varieties of tomatoes of different sizes and shapes.
- Spinach: It contains abundant minerals and vitamins, which are quite essential for the human body; hence spinach having excellent market value and demand. You can grow these veggies very quickly as it is a low maintenance plant that backed my abundant growth.
- Cucumber: Its demand in the market is very high, especially during the summer season. During the scorching heat of the summer, it adds great food value. Moreover, cucumber is also an important ingredient in salads. You need to take proper care for their growth by shrink wrapping to keep the freshness alive.
- Herbs: Herbs like watercress, basils, and cilantro can easily be grown in your greenhouse. They are in great demand as their addition in the meal enhances the taste of the food to a large extent.
- Peppers: You can grow different varieties of pepper in your greenhouse; their market demand is also quite high as they act as taste enhancers.
- Swiss Chard & Squash: You can easily cultivate Swiss chard and squash in great varieties in your small greenhouse. You can achieve greater amounts of profit by selling the fruits directly to the end-users as both are highly in demand.
- Grapes: There is hardly anyone in this world who does not love to have ripened grapes. Grapes are considered to be the main ingredient in a fruit salad. Grapes are in great demand in the dry food industry as well. Hence if you cultivate grapes properly and systematically, it will yield you handsome profits. But make sure you have your eyes on pests and take proper measures against them so that the grapes do not get destroyed.
- Oranges, Lemons, and Melons: You can grow wide varieties of citrus fruits in your greenhouse. These fruits can bear the coldest winter, so without much care, and you can easily grow them.
- Peaches: Peach cultivation in the greenhouse can easily be handled. Nurturing peach is far easier than other fruits, so you can easily grow it in your greenhouse.
- Chillies: Without chilly foods taste bland. It is quite an essential item used in making your everyday meals, and its demand is also quite high. You don’t need a big space to cultivate chilies. They can be easily grown in your mini greenhouse. Even the smallest corner of the greenhouse can work just for growing chilies. Moreover, without intensive care, chilies can be grown. They are hassle-free.
- Coriander: It can be easily grown in your small greenhouse throughout the year; it needs protection during monsoon. Hence greenhouse acts as a savior to them during the monsoon season. You can earn a good amount of money during the season as the price of coriander increases during this period. The use of coriander adds a flavor to the food; it is widely used for cooking purposes. It is also commonly used in soups and salads. You need to pay proper attention during its growth period as the plant requires watering at regular intervals.
- Raspberries: It is one of the fruits which can bring you a good amount of money. Its demand increases during Christmas. Bakers use it plenty while making cakes. So if you start its cultivation early and make it ready before winter arrives, there are chances you can make a good amount of money by selling raspberries. It is also used in making desserts and fruit salads; hence its demands are always high. Different types of milkshakes are also made with raspberries.
- Mushroom: Nowadays, mushrooms are in high demand; well-grown plants have a high market value. Mushrooms are considered a primary source of nutrients; also, they are used for therapeutic benefits.
Flowers which can also be grown in a greenhouse
You can grow many flowers in the greenhouse as well. The list of flowering plants which can be grown in a greenhouse are as follows:
- Orchids: This is a flower with a special fragrance, and it is in high demand too. You can grow orchids in your greenhouse, especially in summer, the flower blooms during winter.
- Rose: As we all know, rose is the most popular flower variety. Its demand never goes down. It brings you a handsome amount of money. Usually, most of the roses are cultivated in the springtime.
- Amazon lily: It is considered to be a flower with a special fragrance. It grows up to 2feet from the base.
- African violets: These flowers make the ambiance colorful. These flowers are in high demand as they are used for decoration purposes.
With so many options in hand, you need to mix and match to achieve the best results. Remember to choose flowering plants that suit your needs and can thrive in climatic conditions near your area. Your greenhouse controls several factors that help reap the outcome of your cultivation.
The factors which are primarily controlled by your greenhouse are as follows
The plants could be divided into some chief categories
The plants which reap high yields
- Leafy greens and lettuce.
The flowering varieties of plants
The plants which can be easily grown
- Leafy greens
- Squash etc.
The plants which are interesting and weird
- Venus flytrap
- Pitcher plant etc.
The ornamental plants
- Succulents, etc.
Three chief groups of veggies
Veggies That Grow Well in Hot Temperature: Chillies, okra, and pepper are a few examples of veggies that grow well in hotter temperatures.
Plants That Grow Well In Warm Temperature: Eggplants, beans, summer squash, cantaloupe, cucumber etc. are plants which grow well in warm temperature.
Veggies That Grow Well In Cold Temperature: Beats, peas, chard, cabbage,
Turnips, cauliflower, and leafy greens are the few examples of veggies which grow well in cold temperature.
While focusing on plants that you can grow well in a small greenhouse, remember not to overrule on varieties that are unable to thrive in an enclosed environment. The following are the plants which do not grow well in a greenhouse:
Plants that need direct sunlight: There are few plants that cannot be grown in the greenhouse as they require direct sunlight. Such plants are rutabaga, carrots, etc.
Plants that need wind pollination: Plants that need wind pollination cannot be grown in the greenhouse. Rice, rye, corn, wheat, barley are the few examples.
Plants that need cold frame: Carrots and some type of herbs that require a cold frame for their survival cannot be grown in a greenhouse.
Economics of growing in a small greenhouse
Cultivation in a greenhouse can be expensive, but you can make it profitable by choosing the correct plants and taking care of them with utmost sincerity. Secondly, you need to plan to sell your crops directly to the end-users so that your profit margins go up. For high profitability, you need to focus on crops like tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, lettuce, herbs, cucumbers, and various other varieties that are in high demand throughout the year. Besides, focus on crops, which can be grown very easily, without too much hassle.
Besides, do not lose your focus on plants other than those reaping vegetables such as flowering plants. Nowadays, flowers are in high demand for weddings and various events which are of great importance to us.