Is Mildew Dangerous To Your Health? 3 Helpful Removal Tips

Is mildew dangerous to your health? This question isn’t often a subject in most online forums, and based on the information I gathered online, yes, mildew can be dangerous to our health, but it’s not as hazardous.

Mildew is not as risky as other types of mold like black mold. However, its damaging effects on humans may worsen if not eliminated immediately, especially those with pre-existing respiratory ailments.

is mildew dangerous to your health

Inhaling mildew spores can cause minor respiratory issues such as nose and throat irritation, wheezing, and nasal congestion. If any of your family members are experiencing the symptoms, it is sensible to inspect your home and look for any problem areas. 


What Is Mildew?

Mildew is a microscopic fungus that can travel through the air in the shape of tiny spores. Once these spores settle in humid or damp environments, mildew starts to flourish and multiply. 

Mildews grow on many surfaces. It is usually yellow, white, or gray and has a fluffy or powdery texture. 

Mildews grow on leaves, foods, plants, fabric, cardboard, and wood products. Mildew spores depend on organic materials for the food they reside in and can cause damage to upholstery and clothing. 


What is the difference between mildew and mold?

Mildew and mold are both fungi. Mildew and mold live most of the time inside our homes, but there are differences between the two that people should know to prevent them from growing. 

Mildew is usually gray, yellow, or white and thrives on moist and warm surfaces. On the contrary, mold appears to be green or black and grows on surfaces that have gotten wet. 

To understand their differences, you may click this article about how to identify black mold vs mildew.


How dangerous is mildew?

Both mildew and mold are fungi, but mildew is not as invasive as other types of mold. It looks powdery and is easier to clean as opposed to molds. 

The effects of mildew are typically minor and aren’t as dangerous in most situations. One of the most common symptoms of mildew exposure is a sore throat, headache, and minor respiratory problems. 

These symptoms happen primarily due to prolonged exposure to mildew, and it commonly occurs when you fail to notice the mildew growing in your home. If you have pre-existing respiratory ailments, your body’s response to mildew spores can be sterner than someone without those pre-existing conditions. 


Can mildew create damage in your home?

In contrast with mold growth, which goes deep into the material it dwells on and causes damage, mildew only grows on the surface. You can clear the surface and eliminate the mildew so that it won’t pose any severe long-term effects on the surface. 


How To Eliminate Mildew In Your Home

While cleaning, wearing a face mask prevents you from inhaling the spores, which lessens any damaging impacts from the mildew. You may consider putting on cleaning gloves to shield yourself from the mildew and the cleaning agent you picked.

Mildew growth is something most of us can handle ourselves. Employing the use of vinegar is enough to remove most mildew. 

Another viable option would be bleach diluted with equal parts of water. Take precautionary measures since bleach can get on a shower curtain, and other items can be affected.


1. Maintaining cleanliness

Mildew prevention starts with cleaning your home to minimize growth since dirt, debris around your home, and greasy film from cooking serve as the source of food for the mildew spores.

Keep dresser drawers, cabinets, closets, basements, or any place where mildew can multiply as clean as possible. The soil on dirty objects can provide enough nutrients for mildew to start growing, given the right temperature and moisture level. 

Clean clothing has less tendency to mildew than soiled clothing. The majority of synthetic fibers like polyester, nylon, acetate are mildew resistant, and pure fabrics of these types do not favor mildew growth.


2. Getting rid of dampness

Mold spores arrange onto surfaces whenever there is enough moisture. Damp structures are often caused by moisture condensation from humid to cooler surfaces. 

Inordinate moisture indicates that additional insulation and immediate repairs are needed. For further information about mildew removal, you may check this article about how to remove mildew from concrete.


3. Get rid of musty odors 

Take specific precautions in getting rid of the musty odors as much as possible to avoid further mold growth. Typically, musty odors fade away if the area is well heated and dried. 

You may use chlorinated lime to eliminate musty odors. Sprinkle the chemical on the floor and let it sit until all mustiness is gone, then sweep it up. 

On cement floors, you can avoid musty odors by scrubbing the surface with sodium hypochlorite or other chlorine bleach available in grocery stores. Rinse it out with clear water and wipe it as dry as possible. 



Is mildew dangerous to your health? Mildew can be hazardous to our health, but it is less troublesome.

According to the information we gathered, prolonged exposure to mildew may cause minor respiratory issues, so it’s essential to be mindful of the practices that will help eliminate and prevent mildew.

Leave a Comment