Do you know that you can learn how to sew nylon webbing on a sewing machine in two simple steps as a beginner? Nylon webbing is used for heavy-duty projects because of its durability, so it can be tricky to work something as strong on the sewing machine.
However, this article simplified the process while also including sewing tips to help you sew nylon webbing. Make sure to know the best heavy-duty sewing machines to ensure that your machine will be capable of working with nylon webbing without jamming or giving out.
Are you working with nylon webbing for business purposes? We’ve also reviewed the best industrial sewing machines that can do demanding tasks.
How To Sew Nylon Webbing On A Sewing Machine For Beginners
Step 1. Preparation of materials
- Measure the size you want from the nylon webbing
- For straps, place a ruler over the webbing and run a soldering iron along it to prepare the nylon material for cutting
- Cut along the soldered lines with a very sharp knife, ensuring that the ruler won’t slip
- Run a lighter across the newly cut nylon webbing to prevent it from fraying
Step 2. Sewing the nylon webbing
- Fold the nylon webbing’s edges so it’s the right size
- Place the nylon webbing over the material you’re sewing
- Begin sewing a box with an X-stitch in the middle for both sides of the webbing
- Secure the stitches with a double knot
- Hit the box with a lighter to seal and strengthen the stitches
Are you unfamiliar with the box X stitch? Follow these steps:
- Sew a straight line along the entire short length of the nylon webbing
- Lift the sewing machine foot and rotate the webbing for 45 degrees, but don’t remove the needle from it
- Sew a diagonal line for about an inch
- Repeat the second step
- Sew a straight line the same length as the line you made on the first step
- Repeat the second step
- Sew a diagonal line the same length as the line you made on the third step until you reach the edge of the first straight line
- Repeat the second step
- Sew a straight line until you reach the two corners previous made
- Repeat the second step and make a diagonal line over the first diagonal line
- Repeat the second step and make a straight line until you reach the remaining two corners
- Repeat the second step and make a diagonal line over the second one you made
- Repeat the second step and make a straight line over the first one you made
- Lift the sewing machine foot and rotate the nylon webbing for 90 degrees, but don’t remove the needle from it
- Make a straight line over the one you made on step 11
- Repeat step 14 and make a straight line over the line you made on step 5
- Repeat step 14 and make a straight line over the line you made on step 9
- Finish the box X stitch by backstitching twice at the end
- Cut the excess thread
Can You Sew Nylon Webbing With A Regular Sewing Machine?
It’s not advisable to sew nylon webbing on a regular sewing machine because this material is tough. You may notice skipped stitches, or the machine itself might get jammed.
Instead, use a heavy-duty sewing machine or consider investing in an industrial sewing machine meant for sewing heavy and tough materials like nylon. This way, you can sew fast and get precise stitches on your project.
Read more reasons why the sewing machine keeps jamming if you find this a common occurrence.
What Needle Do You Use For Nylon Webbing?
A sharp 80/12 needle is the best choice when sewing nylon webbing. Using a smaller or dull needle can cause it to break or leave unsightly stitches on the nylon webbing.
However, you also want to get the correct needle type and size for the thread you’ll use. Here is how to dispose of sewing needles each time you finish a project.
What thread do you use for nylon webbing?
Since nylon webbing is used for projects subjected to wear and tear, you need a thread suitable for such stress. The most recommended one is upholstery thread, as well as heavy-duty polyester thread.
These strong threads can resist the nylon webbing, and they’ll ensure that the stitches won’t unravel or break when the item is used. So the bottom line is to get the strongest sewing thread when working with nylon.
How Do You Sew Nylon Fabric?
- Cut the nylon fabric with sharp tools only
- Set the sewing machine with the correct thread and needle for the nylon fabric you have
- Be mindful of the stitching and keep them straight, especially when working on the seams
- Experiment with the stitch settings, but never use very short stitches on nylon fabric as it may rip
- Always reinforce your stitches to prevent them from unraveling
And that’s it! It’s easy to learn how to sew nylon webbing on a sewing machine because you only need the right accessories and settings for working with something tough like this material.
However, you must know how to make a box X stitch. Do not worry because you can always practice nylon webbing scraps until you get the hang of it.
And, of course, use a sewing machine that’s powerful enough to sew nylon webbing.