If you want to know how to put fresh flowers on a wedding cake, simplify the process into two easy steps. This guide will help you decorate your wedding cake with fresh flowers and also teach you what kind of fresh flower would be safe to put on the wedding cake.
You will even learn the best time to add fresh flowers to your wedding cake and if you must put them directly on the cake surface. And for other decorating tips besides adding floral arrangements to cakes, read this separate discussion on how to decorate a wedding cake.
How To Put Fresh Flowers On A Wedding Cake
Step 1. Prepare the fresh flowers for the wedding cake
- Prepare the fresh flowers you’ll put on the wedding cake; you can stick to one kind or use different types for a colorful and exciting wedding cake
- Please make sure that before you put fresh flowers on your wedding cake, you have already ensured that they’d be safe for food and they are pesticide-free and organic from the florist
- Frost and refrigerate your wedding cake so it will be stable when you start adding flowers
- Wash your fresh florals under running cold water to remove dirt and bugs
- Trim the flower stem ends so they are only around three inches long
- Cut the stem tips at an angle as well and leave the ends under water to rehydrate the flowers
- Before making the flower bouquets, pat the washed flowers and their stems dry with a paper towel, careful not to accidentally damage them
- Prepare florist’s tape for the wedding cake flowers; a three-inch tape should cover the portion of the floral stem where you cut it
- The tape is crucial to prevent contact between the flower stem tip and the wedding cake; the tip of the cut stem might still secrete liquids into the cake, and wrapping it with tape can also help it retain moisture for longer to keep the flowers fresh
Step 2. Arrange the flowers on your wedding cake
- A way to add floral arrangements to the wedding cake is to insert them into the cake directly
- To avoid mistakes that may ruin the frosting or fondant of the cake surface, plan the placements of the fresh flowers by making a sketch
- Follow your sketch and stick the flowers one by one
- Alternatively, you can create two-inch fondant balls where you can put the flowers first and then put that fondant piece onto the cake
- If you’re doing large and full floral bouquets, then use the fondant technique
Can I Put Flowers Directly On A Cake?
You can place fresh flowers on wedding cakes if you use organic flowers free from pesticides. Many edible flowers will be safe for wedding cake decors, but only use them if you’re sure they are not treated with any chemicals.
Furthermore, it’s recommended to tape their stem tips to keep the cut ends from potentially secreting plant material. You can also use a fondant ball to act as a barrier and extra support for large floral arrangements than sticking flower stems one at a time on the cake.
Can I put any flower on a cake?
You can place fresh flowers on wedding cakes as long as you’re using organic flowers that are free from pesticides. There are many edible flowers that will be safe for wedding cake decors, but only use them if you’re sure that they are not treated with any chemicals.
What flowers are safe to use on cakes?
You can also check this list of edible flowers with potential nutritional value.
Which flower cannot be eaten?
- Calla lily
- Sweet pea
- Lily of the valley
Can you put dried flowers on a wedding cake?
You can add dried flowers to your wedding cake but for decorative purposes only. It’s better to use organic fresh flowers if you want to eat them because dried flowers might be painted and processed with chemicals.
How Far In Advance Can You Put Fresh Flowers On A Cake?
It’s best to add fresh flowers to the wedding cake on the morning of the wedding. You can talk to your baker about this, and they might start adding the flowers directly to the cake when it’s arranged at the venue.
Remember that fresh flowers can wilt quickly and need a cool environment to remain fresh. Therefore, they should be added to the wedding cake at the last minute to keep the blooms vibrant.
How Do You Drape Flowers On A Cake?
You’ll easily drape flowers on the side or around the wedding cake using fake flowers or edible flowers made from sugar. You can also paint the flowers directly on the cake surface or use it to add details to existing cake floral arrangements to create a fuller-looking floral drape.
And if you find the wedding cake looking too bland, here’s an easy tutorial on how to make wedding cake toppers.
And that’s it! You just learned how to put fresh flowers on a wedding cake in two steps.
Start by trimming the stems and cleaning the organic and edible fresh flowers. Then, wrap their stems with floral tape and stick them on the wedding cake. You can also stick larger arrangements on a fondant ball if you don’t want to work one stem at a time.