There are multiple recipes on how to make Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover, and we tackle two of them in this article.
Is It Dangerous To Keep Mildew Untreated?
If you’re familiar with how household fungi work, you would know that leaving mildew untreated would result in mold. Prolonged mildew growth makes the environment more moisture-rich, therefore attracting mold.
For that reason, mildew shouldn’t be left untreated even though it is milder than mold. You don’t run the risk of the objects you own breaking down due to mildew, but it’s a different story with mold.
Moreover, with mildew and mold in your household, you would need to allot more repair costs. Also, the risk of acquiring respiratory issues and skin allergies may increase.
Lastly, if mold and mildew are left untreated, it’s highly likely that the water damage that caused it is left unrepaired.
How Can I Detect Household Mold Or Mildew?
If you think that your household has fungi but do not know where to look, check the dark places and have less airflow. Mold is indiscriminate in its victims, but mildew grows only on organic surfaces, like plants.
The latter can still be found on inorganic surfaces, though, but only if there is a food source or an organic material, it can rest on.
Another way of detecting household fungi is to check for a musty smell. This does not mean that you should sniff around the house for that particular odor.
We also do not recommend that because you may inhale mold or mildew spores. You can observe a particular part of your household (e.g. your basement) and feel its air.
If you need a reference on the odor and how to remove it, here’s an article outlining the easy methods on how to get mildew smell out of basement.
If it’s stuffy, it comes along with a scent; most likely, this could mean fungi growth in your household. However, if this is too vague and imprecise, you can always test your home’s moisture level using a moisture meter.
Also, if you’re troubled about mold and mildew spores, here’s an article regarding the ways of how to get rid of mold spores in the air that may help you.
What Is Tilex Mold And Mildew Remover?
Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover is a well-known solution to household fungi. It has been the go-to solution of homeowners for generations.
It is meant to kill mold and mildew without the need for scrubbing. Also, it is very cheap, hence why it’s a family favorite.
One of the main ingredients of Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover is Clorox. Clorox is a well-known brand of bleach that every bleach that isn’t this brand is still called Clorox.
The existence of bleach in the product makes it a powerful fungi-killing solution. Not only can bleach kill mold and mildew, but also the bacteria that live in your home.
It can be used in various surfaces, like wood, brick, siding, concrete, plastic, vinyl, patio furniture, exterior glass, and painted wood. Despite the range of surfaces it can be used on, and we do not recommend its use on marble surfaces.
Aside from the scrubbing-less advantage of Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover, another one of its pros is that the more you use it on a surface, the lesser the possibility of future fungi growth.
How To Make A DIY Tilex Mold And Mildew Remover?
Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover is accessible to homeowners and is even considered affordable. It is available on Target, Walmart, and even Amazon.
However, some homeowners say that a bottle only lasts for two weeks, making it impractical. So, if you wish to create one using existing ingredients at home, you can do so.
Here are some homemade Tilex Mold and Mildew recipes that may help you.
Recipe #1. Glass cleaner
The first recipe involves the use of ammonia, rubbing alcohol, dishwashing liquid, and water.
Get a gallon container and pour half-cup of ammonia and two cups of rubbing alcohol in it. Then, pour water on the container until it’s filled.
After that, put a portion of the mixture in a spray cleaner and spritz it on fungi-contaminated glass surfaces.
Recipe #2. Tile and grout
For this recipe, you will need ⅓ cup of household ammonia, half-cup of baking soda, a quarter-cup of white vinegar, and seven cups of warm water. Pour all ingredients in a gallon container, cover it, and mix it by swishing.
If you’re dealing with a minor mildew issue, you can fill a pump bottle with the above solution. Then, spritz the mixture on the surface.
After that, wipe the tile or grout with a damp sponge. A word of caution to not mix this solution with bleach as it contains ammonia.
We shared how much multiple households have loved Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover for many generations, but it is not always practical to some. This is why we resorted to giving you recipes on how to make Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover.
Making your own solution also gives you the liberty of how much you can create and how long you can use it. We hope this article on mold and mildew removers was helpful to you!