Unwanted noise may enter your home to disturb your concentration or sleep. You can turn to sound-absorbing curtains to save yourself. In this article, you will learn simple steps on how to make soundproof curtains.
It is pretty easy to make. You may want to make it a fresh new curtain or you can also add it as an underlayer to your old curtain set up. In the case of the latter, you will only need to get sewing tools like a needle, thread, measuring tape, or any other distance measuring device and a pair of scissors. Then, you can block the distracting sounds coming into your home.
Choosing the material for your soundproof curtain depends on the curtains you are buying. When you are looking to buy the best soundproof material, go for velvet, polyester, or suede curtain materials, they have extra fibers.
You can also opt for thermal insulated curtains as a good alternative. They are also effective in keeping out the sound and do cover every air gap.
4 Easy Steps To Make Soundproof Curtains
Below are the materials to get ready when you plan on how to make soundproof curtains;
- Any two pieces of fabric of your choice have to be of equal size, wide, and long enough to fit your window
- A piece for wadding the material inside a synthetic quilt should be at least 2cm narrower and 2cm shorter than your fabric
- Two eyelets to hang up your curtains
- Cotton thread
- A tape measure
- A sewing machine
- Dressmakers’ chalk
Step #1: Measure Your Window’s Dimensions
The first step when you plan on how to make soundproof curtains is Measurement. Begin by measuring your window’s height and width and cover all the space you want your sound-absorbing curtains to take.
To have adequate sound absorption, ensure that the curtains cover the entire surface of your window space. If you want to cover a sliding glass or a floor-to-ceiling window, consider that your curtains must reach the floor, and it is okay to add an extra inch or two to be safer.
The effectiveness of your soundproof curtains depends on the quantity of area that is covered. If you would like to make things on the ends of your curtain so they can have a polished finishing, then add two more inches to the top edge and the bottom of your curtain fabric with additional half inches on both sides.
Step #2: Include More Folds
Increase the width measurement by doubling it. To get an effective curtain set up, include more folds in the curtain, it would absorb more outside sound. That is, for a window that is 5 feet wide, you should plan to use 10 feet of fabric.
Step #3: Fold and stitch
The Fold the hems over, using pins, and stitch it into place with a needle and thread. When you fold, ensure that you fold more than 2 inches at the top edge and the bottom, half an inch on the sides. Leave the top ends of the hem open for the rod to go through it.
If you would prefer not to make stitches instead, you can join the hems with an adhesive hemming tape. Put this under the hem edge, then secure the tape into place with an iron. You can follow the directions from the product package as well.
Step #4: Hang Your Soundproof Curtain
The last step on how to make soundproof curtains is hanging the curtain. Insert a curtain rod through the open hem and hang your finished soundproof curtain.
Tips on Making Soundproof Curtains
However, you should know three helpful tips when finding out how to make soundproof curtains to get the best sound reducing effects from these curtains. They are;
- Purchase four panels for each of your windows and not just two. The density matters in the effectiveness, and the more you can fit into the room and the window, the better effect you would get.
- Ensure that you purchase the curtains with 96 inches length instead of the ones with 84 inches. As a result, you will have a ceiling to floor curtains, especially those with 8 inches ceiling.
- Using ceiling mount brackets for your curtains will make your curtains closer to the ceiling and, as a result, block out more sound.
Do Noise Blocking Curtains Work?
It does change the noise effect much when you soundproof your curtains. While the curtains may not stop the sounds from entering, they can absorb a lot of sounds.
But if you still want to get a deadened effect to noise, you may want to add more soundproofing materials to the soundproof curtains you made.
How do I Choose a High-Quality Soundproof Curtain?
For you to get an effective soundproof curtain, it has to be bulky, tightly woven, and just covers from the ceiling to the floor of your window, it must also be several inches more than your window on the sides.
The most important thing here is that your soundproof curtains cover as much perimeter around your curtain as possible. This will make your curtain folds create enough seal around your window’s surface.
What are the Benefits of Soundproof Curtains?
Apart from soundproof curtains’ ability to provide your home, apartment, or office with a quieter effect, you can also enjoy other great benefits of these noise-reducing curtains. These benefits include;
- Shielding Your Home From Light Intrusion: You can get the blackout effect when you use a soundproof curtain, which is a much-loved effect people want in their homes.
- You also get more insulating layers of fabric that will help out during the hot and cold seasons.
- It is simple and easy to install soundproof curtains in your space.
- You get many soundproof curtains designed to operate in the fundamentals of acoustic functions, which prevents the entrance of sound as much as possible.
While using soundproof curtains may not be the same as having a soundproof window, it is still an excellent means of reducing sound intrusion at a very affordable cost. The simple steps on making a soundproof curtain discussed in this article will help you on how to make soundproof curtains that serves as soundproof and block out the sound that is coming from outside into your space.