Do you know that it only takes five steps to learn how to decorate a wedding cake? We’ll share techniques to make cake decorating easy, even for beginners.
We will also recommend the ingredients you can use to decorate a wedding cake tastefully, both visually and literally. Then, you can read about what to write on wedding cake to personalize it more.
How To Decorate A Wedding Cake: Creative Tips And Tricks
Step 1. Prepare the ingredients for the wedding cake
- Decide on the wedding cake height to make the stacks needed to reach it
- Consider the size of each cake layer or compute half of the layers you want and divide each layer into two
- Make and prepare enough frosting or fondant to cover the wedding cake
- Arrange the ingredients you’ll use for cake decorating, including the different color fondant and frosting
- Do the proper preparation for each frosting type so they’ll be easier to work with
Step 2. Support the cake tiers to decorate much more easily
- Support each wedding cake layer over a stand
- Use the proper size support for the cake size and shape for more effortless decorating
- Arrange the ingredients below the cake stand so you can reach them comfortably while decorating
Step 3. Frost accordingly
- Different frosting types work with varying techniques of frosting and piping
- Prepare the frosting for decorating, including the tools such as the spatula to smoothen your work
- The ideal frosting consistency for cake decorating is similar to mayo
- Cover the wedding cake evenly
- Carefully lay and cover the cake tier with fondant if you’re not using frosting
Step 4. Decorate the wedding cake and experiment with different cake decorating ideas
- Continue reading below for the ingredients you can use to decorate a wedding cake
- Less is more with decors for the cake
- Leave space for writing on the cake
Step 5. Stack the wedding cake together after decoration
- Stack the wedding cake together carefully
- You can use straws or dowel rods as support to keep the layers together
- Don’t forget to layer the cake levels with icing to make the slice look better
- Lift the cake off the work surface with an offset spatula and place its bottom tier on the cake stand
- Use the spatula to position the cake at a height before placing it over the cake stack
- Hide the layers with icing or cake decor
How To Decorate A Wedding Cake With Fresh Flowers?
A trend with wedding cakes nowadays is to use fresh flowers for decorating. Consider these creative ways to put flowers on your wedding cake:
- Use flower petals as sprinkles and scatter them over the cake and to the size
- Mix flower petals and pieces on the icing for decorating or piping
- Dry flower petals for arranging around the cake sides
- Insert flower bloom and stems on the cake
- Arrange the flowers to cascade on the cake levels
Can you put fresh flowers on top of a cake?
You can use fresh flowers on top of the wedding cake if they are edible blooms and organic plants grown without chemicals. You can also ask the servers to remove the flowers before serving since some won’t be tasty for consumption.
What fresh flowers are safe to put on a cake?
What flowers are not safe to eat?
- Baby’s breath
What Do You Use To Decorate A Wedding Cake?
Use the following ingredients for cake decorating:
- Pastries like cookies, biscuits, macarons, and meringues
- Dried fruits like berries
- Fresh fruits like peaches and apricots
- Mint leaves
- Cinnamon sticks
- Herbs like rosemary and lavender
- Fresh edible flowers
- Dried flower petals
What Type Of Icing Is Used To Decorate Wedding Cakes?
One of the most popular icing to decorate cakes and even fill the layers of the stacked wedding cake is buttercream. Of course, the fat quality will dictate the appearance and consistency of this icing, but it melts quickly in hot conditions.
A lighter alternative to buttercream is whipped cream. It’s easy to make, and you can even add colors and flavors to it without any issues.
If you have an outdoor wedding at a host venue, it’s ideal to use royal icing for the wedding cake. This frosting solidifies after drying, so it’s not as unstable as creams.
Cream cheese frosting
Sometimes, the flavor of the wedding cake is what matters. That being said, some couples prefer cream cheese frosting because of the taste.
Please read how to transport a wedding cake to ensure that your delicate frosting, icing, and decors remain intact and in good shape after decorating.
How Do You Cover A Wedding Cake?
If you’re having an outdoor wedding and need to protect your wedding cake, place it under a shaded area like a tent. Put it on a table to keep it out of reach, and if needed, a cake dome or net canopy can offer protection against the elements.
And that’s it! We just learned how to decorate a wedding cake in five steps!
You start with preparing the cake and icing, positioning the cake, frosting, decorating, then finally, stacking the wedding cake together. We hope you also got inspired with the cake decors and icing we shared; let us know below how you’ll decorate your wedding cake!