Those curious about how to become a wedding decorator can simplify it into six steps. We will help you learn about the industry and what to expect from wedding decorators.
You will also know how to create a business plan to become a professional wedding decorator for weddings. And to learn more about the roles, read about who sets up the wedding decor.
Everything To Know About How To Become A Wedding Decorator
Get training and certification to become a professional decorator in weddings
- To become a wedding decorator that will stand out, it would be best that you know the requirements to be a certified wedding decorator
- Find a school in your area that offers a certification course related to wedding planning
- By joining classes and seminars, even those who have no experience in weddings and decorating can get comfortable in this venture
- You can also consider organizations related to wedding industry professionals, even if they’re not specific to wedding decorating to help with your reputation
- License is not required to be a wedding decorator, but you should still know the requirements regarding business licensing or consider working for a wedding planning company as their decorator
Find a mentor or observe other wedding decorating businesses
- If you’re unsure how to become a wedding decorator, especially if you have no experience or knowledge in the industry, start as an employer for a bigger wedding business
- You can also find a willing mentor that you can work with to familiarize yourself with the industry
- You can observe how others become wedding decorators while also how they navigate the clients’ requests and issues for different weddings
- It would be best if you also work and observe other wedding vendors that have an influence on the wedding decors
- Be open to the idea that you are still inexperienced since you are only starting in becoming a wedding decorator
Know the wedding decorating trends
- One of the most essential tips on how to become a professional wedding decorator is to familiarize yourself with the trends in the industry
- Weddings vary in styles, so you need to be a flexible wedding decorator to move with the trends in wedding decorating
- Since you are only starting on how to be a wedding decorator, try different niches first until you can develop a signature style
- It would benefit you to be skilled in different decorating trends and styles in weddings to get as many clients and experiences
- Browse social media, and read magazines and books until you can combine all the concepts and learnings that will help you stand out
Familiarize yourself with floral decors at weddings
- Besides acquainting yourself with other wedding vendors, you might want to learn specific skills to become a multifaceted wedding decorator
- One of the most common decors in weddings is flowers, so becoming a wedding decorator can mean you are taking classes for flower arrangements
- You can work for a flower shop or a florist who specializes in wedding needs, as the styles can help you widen your wedding decoration knowledge
- You can also offer the wedding flowers as part of your services as a wedding decorator, so the client doesn’t need to find another vendor
- If you’re also a wedding florist, you don’t need to search for one, and you can offer better prices for your wedding decorating packages
Create a wedding decorating business plan
- Wedding decorators are business owners, so to have a thriving endeavor, you should create an effective business plan
- Know the elements needed for your start-ups, such as the financial needs and profit projections
- Plan your operations and target demographic as well with your wedding decorating business
- It would also benefit you to find suppliers for your wedding decorations
- Start building solid relationships with dealers and suppliers for your wedding decor company
Please familiarize yourself with how much does wedding decor cost to have an idea of the expenses.
Advertise your wedding decorating business
- To become an effective wedding decorator, you should also know how to advertise your decorator business
- Start with building a portfolio tailored to your target market
- Make sure to get good reviews from clients and utilize social media to be known in the industry
- You can spread the word by asking friends and relatives to recommend you to wedding events
- You can also consider asking bridal shops and vendors to display your business details to help you reach more prospective clients
What Does A Decorator Do For A Wedding?
Besides knowing how to become a wedding decorator, here are your expected responsibilities:
- Create a plan with the client according to their dream wedding venue look
- Acquire the wedding decor materials and supplies
- Beautify the wedding location and work with vendors related to decors
How Much Should I Charge To Decorate A Wedding Reception?
The average cost of a wedding decorator can be around $80 per hour or a package of about $1,000, depending on many factors such as the client’s requests and your reputation.
And that’s it! You just learned how to become a wedding decorator in six steps.
Start with getting certifications, observing bigger businesses, knowing the trends, expanding your services, creating a business plan, and advertising yourself. We hope our tips helped; let us know below if you have questions about this industry.