“How much weight can a chair hold” is one of the questions asked when deciding on chairs we use and buy. Considering this should be one of the most crucial parts of a decision. Yes, a chair may have all the desirable features, but can it actually support you?
Different chair types have different weight capacities. These may depend on the chair’s structure, materials used, and even on its function. You wouldn’t want to fall flat on the floor just because you failed to choose the right one, right?
What Is Weight Capacity?
To put it simply, weight capacity is just referring to how much weight a line can hold. This applies not only to chairs but also to other pieces of furniture even on vehicles and other things that hold or support objects or people.
The weight capacity is very important to consider as it will dictate a thing’s range and functionality. Once you have it wrong, other aspects might not work at all as it affects them. Be wise in your decision and choose something that can actually support you and the things you do.
Can your chair hold you?
There is no such thing as “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to chairs. It is a standard to design them according to people’s average weight — it is the anthropometry talking. However, due to differences, a wide variety of chairs with different weight capacities have been designed.
- Standard office chair/computer chair – Normally, a standard office chair has a weight capacity of 250 pounds. This is enough to hold people with average weight. It is likely to accommodate most of the workers or individuals.
- Big/tall/ heavyweight chair – For people beyond the spectrum, special chairs which can hold a larger amount of weight were designed. These types of chairs have a weight capacity of 300 up to 800 pounds. They are built with more durable materials making them capable of supporting increased sizes and weights.
- Ghost chair – Although its capacity is not as high as heavyweight chairs, this can hold more weight than a standard chair. A ghost chair can support up to 400 pounds.
- Metal chair – Similarly, this has a larger weight capacity of 480 pounds. This sounds good but you have to realize that a metal chair might be as heavy as it sounds.
- Acrylic chair – Just like a standard chair, an acrylic chair can hold up to 250 pounds.
- Wood dining chair – Among all the mentioned chairs, this chair can support the least amount of weight. Its capacity is just 71.3 pounds — doing the math, it is from 72 × 36 × 1. 25 × 0.022 = 71.3.
With these guides on a chair’s weight capacity, you can now avoid hitting your butt on the cold and hard floor.
Other factors to consider when choosing a chair
Aside from weight capacity, here are other aspects you should consider when selecting the perfect chair for you:
For chairs with fixed height, it is important that you choose one that fits you. However, there are chairs with adjustable height so you don’t have to worry as there are lots of options.
Even with a large weight capacity, a chair is still not functional if it is too narrow for you. This is why it is essential to consider its width.
The best seat option is a chair that is adjustable. It is essential that it can be moved or repositioned according to your comfort. Select a chair with adjustable lumbar support, armrests, back height, and seat depth.
Of course, a chair even with durability and sufficiently high, wide, and strong is still not good enough. There are other factors that you should also take note of.
Is the chair comfortable? How long can it actually support you? Will it regularly distract you from pain?
These questions should run in your mind as you go through your options. This is important, especially when deciding on a chair for work purposes.
Believe it or not, ergonomic chairs can give you health benefits such as aiding digestion, improving blood circulation, and even reduce your stress. It will also help prevent the causes of musculoskeletal pain.
Will the chair make you productive or distracted? A good seat will make you worry less. This is why proper seating plays a vital role in a worker’s productivity.
All these factors shall be considered altogether as you choose a chair for you.
Deciding on the best chair is not easy. There are just a lot of factors and specifications to consider and you know it is hard to have them composed together on a single chair. This is why you should weigh your choices out in all smart ways possible.
Knowing how much weight can a chair hold is just one of the steps you have to do. It is always good to rely on things that can support you, right? Happy sitting!