Does Mold Die When It Dries Out: An Informative Home Guide

If you are asking the question “Does mold die when it dries out”, you are not alone. We all know that mold thrives with moisture, but what will happen if there is no condensation on the surface?

Mold can grow anywhere. Although there is a specific level of humidity where it usually begins to spread spores, it can remain dormant during unsuitable conditions and reactivate again later. Mold also poses several dangers to humans, so it is not advisable to leave them growing on walls on other surfaces.

does mold die when it dries out


What Causes Mold Growth?

Water and food sources are two of the leading causes of mold growth. They love damp surfaces and organic matters such as wood to reproduce and build a colony. They can also grow on concrete and other materials that do not necessarily act as a food source if there is moisture.

Mold is a familiar problem in households and other structures, but they are not always harmful. However, it can be a significant inconvenience for people who are sensitive to mold without knowing it. Some varieties of mold release toxins and poisonous substances that can cause respiratory problems.


What Happens When Mold Dries Out?

Moisture is an essential factor for molds to grow, but the lack of water in the environment does not exactly kill mold. Like other animals, they will hibernate when the air or surface they are settling in is dry. When moisture becomes available again, they will be reactivated and continue reproducing as usual.

Depending on the type of mold, they can even remain dormant for several years before they start becoming active again when they meet the right conditions. Some can also hibernate or sleep for a hundred years until the right environment becomes available.

If the mold stops spreading in your house, it is not enough to be relieved. It is still essential to remove it because they will eventually come back and apply more.

The spores can also be caught in the air and travel in areas with moisture, creating a new colony to reproduce. You can check out this article on how to get rid of mold spores in the air to prevent this from happening.

You can choose to clean the dry mold yourself as there are available products and home remedies that you can do to eliminate the problem. Remember to use protective gear to keep the spores from contaminating your clothes and getting into your eyes. However, if the case is severe, it would be best to contact a professional to get the job done.


What Humidity Level Does Mold Die?

Another way to control mold growth in your home is the maintenance of a proper humidity level. Most houses have HVAC systems that can help balance the moisture and dryness of the air indoors.

Note that warm air absorbs more moisture than cold air, so the ideal humidity inside should range from 30% to 50% to prevent mold buildup. Using exhaust fans in moist areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry areas will be of big help. They encourage proper ventilation so the steam and vapor in the air do not stay in place.

Investing in dehumidifiers will also help in keeping the humidity low inside your house. You can also open your windows more for a natural exchange of air but be sure to keep them closed when raining to prevent water intrusion.

However, active molds can still prosper despite these conditions, so be sure to end the source so they will not grow again. You can use mold repellent products that you can buy in stores and sanitizers, and active cleaners. You can also use bleach as it is a proven effective product to eliminate mold growths and spores.

Targeting the problem from the roots will end it all. You can assure that they will not reactivate again or harm any of your family members despite being dormant.


Is Dry Mold Still Dangerous?

As long as you do not eat or touch it with bare hands, mold is mainly harmless, especially if asleep. However, it doesn’t mean that it is okay to leave them just like that. Mold spores are microscopic, meaning they can easily penetrate the nose and cause several health problems if they get trapped in the lungs.

Mold exposure is dangerous, and some of its health risks are the following:

  • Allergic reactions
  • Irritation (eyes, nose, skin)
  • Respiratory problems (asthma, sneezing, wheezing)
  • Mental confusion
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue
  • Neurological problems

Due to their lightweight characteristic, they can also travel freely on-air and reach others residing in the same area. They can also sit on the furniture and other objects and start to spread there. You should know the best ways to remove mold from furniture fabrics and stop the contamination.

The results may range from mild to severe depending on the immune system of the affected individual. One person that might not be aware of their sensitivity to mold can be vital and create long-term problems if not addressed immediately. It would be best to go to your doctor if you suspect you or anyone in the house might be suffering from mold infection and reactions.



There is only one answer to the question “does mold die when it dries out”, and that is “no”. The best way to keep them from spreading is to remove the colony entirely with the use of cleaners, sanitizers, and home treatments such as bleach and vinegar.

A mold is a group of stubborn microorganisms that will always find a way to reproduce. Fortunately, you have the solution to end this process.

Leave a Comment