Regular biking keeps you physically fit. If you do biking on a regular basis, you do not even need to go to the gym. Considering the current scenario of the worldwide spread of the novel coronavirus, bikes have become an indispensable means of transport given the fact it allows people to maintain social distancing, unlike other three or four seating vehicles.
Bikes are in high demand, the sale of bikes have skyrocketed owing to this coronavirus pandemic. The global pandemic has urged people to opt-out of vehicle purchases, including cars and minibus. They are now buying bicycles as handy options for transportation.
People are using them widely to keep social distancing by avoiding public transport. It is the most trending means of commutation now. As per the reports from the bicycle makers, there is a shortage of supply currently as the demand has gone up beyond expectations. Hence the role of bike racks has stepped in.
History of Bike Racks
- In the earlier days, a grooved piece of wood was used as bike racks. There was no locking system; hence it could be easily stolen.
- There was not much support; hence the bike would easily topple.
- Post that “Sheffield Stand” system was invented. Here the support system improved, but there was no security.
- Later in 1984, in Toronto, a bike rack was invented. It was known as “Post and Ring” bicycle racks. It was not secured, too, as it was discovered that the thieves were easily stealing the bicycles from stands by cutting through the rings.
Now with the modern era, new secured bicycle racks came into the forefront
As people continue to purchase bikes at an increased rate, the role of bike racks has become more prominent. While you go for buying a bike rack, you need to consider several factors. The factors which you need to consider are as follows:
A) Quality of the product: Quality of the product is highly essential; you need to check what material it is made up of.
B) Security: Check the locking system properly, as it will add up to your security. A proper locking system will save the bike from theft.
C) Looks: Yes, looks matter the most. Smart looking bike racks are always attractive.
All the above-mentioned things are found in AUTOZONE as studies reveal the same. The company is known for rendering bikers with the best designed and equipped bike racks. You can find out a wide range of good quality bike rack available at AutoZone, which will meet your demands.
- Steel Tubing: Steel is the best material that can be used for manufacturing bike racks. For making the structure, steel tubing is widely used. The outside diameter specifies the tubing size.
Wall thickness is known as the gauge. Better the thickness the sturdier it will be. If you lower the gauge, the tube becomes thick. Steel tubing is very much required for the entire process.
Stainless steel contains chromium, and it is also considered as low carbon steel. They are very glossy in nature, heat and fire-resistant, and have high durability even during extreme weather conditions.
- Plastic Rack: Bike racks are made with plastics. They are less costly. They are not durable enough; Plastic racks cannot provide robust security as well.
Different types of bike racking
Ground Bike Racking
In-ground mounts are the most popular; they are considered to be the most secure of all bike racking options available across the world. The steel tube goes inside the ground up to 10” vertically. And the straight pin measuring 3/8” acts as an anchor; hence it becomes quite stable. This module is considered a permanent installation. It is also very safe and considered a secure option against theft.
Roof Mount Bike Racks
This type of bike racks totally depends on what type of car you are having. These types of bike racks are meant to be mounted on the top of your car. They require a base rack unit already fixed on the roof; the roof mount bike racks just latch on to it. The wider the space of the rooftop, the better it will be to carry the roof mount bike racks. It can transport one or two bicycles at a time. If you fix “Rhino-Rack Roof mount,” which is a hybrid roof rack, you can carry two full assembled bicycles at a time. The roof-mount bike racks do not act as an obstacle for the driver as they can easily get the rear window’s view. Tandem bike can only be carried easily on a roof mount bike rack.
The PROS and CONS of the roof mount bike racks
- The trunk access remains clear.
- No disturbance in the rear view.
- The roof rail system is better than a hitch system.
- You can avail of multiple variants such as frame mount, fork mount, wheel mount, etc.
- Sometimes it becomes very difficult to lift the bicycles manually to the roof, which is too high.
- You cannot park your cars to a garage with low elevation.
- It cannot accommodate more than two bicycles.
- The car start consumes more fuel.
Trunk-Mount Bike Racks
Trunk mount bike racks are versatile; you can fit them easily without causing much hassle to your car trunk. It does not require any additional parts to get fixed; hence it is less costly. You can carry three bicycles at a time with the help of trunk mount bike racks. It comes with a folding design, which makes it compact.
The PROS & CONS of the trunk mount bike racks
- Easily affordable.
- Compact storage of the bicycle can be done.
- Three or more bicycles can be transported at a time.
- Your car can be damaged as the latching point & mount creates a pressure on the trunk.
- The design is not suitable for all vehicles.
Hitch-Mount Bike Racks
These bike racks are very easy to set up, you need to plug it to the hitch receiver, and it becomes ready for your bicycle loading. Previously hitch mount bike racks used were very risky and distracting, but with the arrival of modern technology, the implantation of antisway and soft cradles have minimized the risk to a higher level. Some hitch mount bike racks even give you the luxury to transport five bicycles at a time.
The PROS and CONS of the hitch mount bike racks are as follows
- You can carry more bicycles.
- This model is perfect for a big and larger SUV.
- The roof is free to carry other luggage’s
- Additional costs will be incurred as you need to install the hitch separately.
- Rearview might get blocked.
- Trunk usage may be restricted.
Truck Bed Bike Racks
You can easily opt for truck bed bike racks if you have a truck, and it has an open bed space. It helps in carrying four bikes at a time.
The PROS and CONS of the truck bed bike racks are as follows
- It is most stable and sturdy; hence it’s secured too.
- Less costly and hence affordable.
- It might block the rearview.
Different styles of bike racks
Different types of bike racks are available nowadays.
- U rack
- Bollard style
- Griddle style
- Double deck.